If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Wheels... Falling... Off... (And I love it)

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
cpacmel
Junior

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 pm
Losing shamet is the absolute dagger. Is he actually a 1st round material pick?

bombay
Sophomore

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:39 pm

Philly drafts Mikal Bridges then trades him, then drafts shamet.

Fail.

bombay
Sophomore

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 pm

Alize Johnson to the Pacers in the 2nd.

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 pm

bombay wrote:

Fail.
From the same guy who said Shamet was not a first round draft pick.....
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... -nba-draft

From the few games (maybe 6 or 7) I have watched Shamet play over the last two years I feel he could have a long nba career as a solid role player including a few years in his prime as a starter.

bombay
Sophomore

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Fail.

Baltimore Bird
Freshman

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:52 am

I saw too much inconsistency.... I have no animosity against him or the shockers and hope he actually does well I just don't think he will
Redbirds and Cardinals, A Combination that Makes Sense! GO BIRDS!

Humdinger
Senior

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 am

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
bombay wrote:

Fail.

From the few games (maybe 6 or 7) I have watched Shamet play over the last two years I feel he could have a long nba career as a solid role player including a few years in his prime as a starter.

Totally agree. He's Shaun Livingston (not as good as Livingston yet) with 3 point range. And...a guaranteed contract.

If ya wonder about Shamet as a player, rewatch the Kentucky-Wichita Tourney game.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 am
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
bombay wrote:

Fail.

Totally agree. He's Shaun Livingston (not as good as Livingston yet) with 3 point range. And...a guaranteed contract.

If ya wonder about Shamet as a player, rewatch the Kentucky-Wichita Tourney game.
I think the Livingston comparison is spot on for Shamet. He'll likely play that exact role for the 6ers, and I think he'll compliment their current roster pretty well. The kid can play, as much as I don't like the Shox, Shamet can play.

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:50 pm

As a reminder, Wichita State is going to be GAAAAAARRRRRBAAAAAAGE this year.

If that does not perk you up, I don't know what will.

RBFANTOO
Freshman

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Retire 12 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm
Austin Reaves is leaving Wichita.
Shamet has declared for the draft.
6 graduating seniors including Brown, Kelly, Shaq, and DUI Frankamp
Prized recruit Lomax backs out

Couldn't beat Cincinnati or Houston for the conference title despite their "best team ever"

Coming off an embarrassing loss to a 13 seed in the tourney..

What a glorious offseason.
Muck Farshall. :D
Redbird Nation Rising

Trey_Guidry4three
Freshman

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:11 am

Nice to see him land on a good team

Buffett
Freshman

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:15 am

Shamet is a John Tuturro look alike.

isuquinndog
Site Admin

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Well, kind of.
shamet.jpg
shamet.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

bombay
Sophomore

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:14 pm

People seem to like The Sixers draft except for Shamet who gets a C and two C minus grades.

USA Today
Zhaire Smith Grade: B-

Smith, who is headed to Philadelphia via a draft-night deal according to USA TODAY Sports’ Sam Amick, is an explosive, athletic wing who’s extremely versatile on defense. The 76ers can easily plug him in and assume he’ll compete defensively from the start.

Landry Shamet Grade: C-

Shamet has a quick trigger from three, a good motor and is a capable one-on-one scorer. He’s also got good size for his position and will provide the 76ers with a scoring boost off the bench.

NJ.com
Overall Grade: B-

It was a strange night for the Sixers. Villanova’s Mikal Bridges was a perfect fit for the Sixers at 10, and the pick made sense. It was rather shocking when they ultimately traded back to 16 to get Smith and an unprotected Heat first-round pick in 2021. In retrospect, the trade makes some sense — Smith has the higher ceiling, though Bridges is a better shooter and ready-to-go now. Smith has a high ceiling, but low floor unless he gets a better jumpshot and ballhandling. His athleticism is tantalizing. Shamet was probably picked too high, but the pick is fine. He’s a good shooter with length and the ability to play on or off the ball. He’ll fit nicely off the bench. Milton was a solid value later on as another combo guard. he’s 6-6 with a 7-foot wingspan.

SBNation’s Ricky O’Donnell
Zhaire Smith Grade: A

Philadelphia trades the rights to Mikal Bridges to Phoenix for Miami’s 2021 first rounder and the rights to Zhaire Smith. For as much as Philadelphia would have embraced a hometown product like Bridges, this is a great trade for the Sixers. Smith is the best athlete in the draft, an explosive 6’4 guard who plays like a big man. He rebounds better than Jaren Jackson and blocks more shots than Marvin Bagley, making him one of the most unique prospects in this class. There is no better pure athlete in this class than Smith. If his shooting eventually comes around, watch out. Until then, he’ll thrive running in transition with Ben Simmons and will be able to make plays above the rim on both ends of the court.

Landry Shamet Grade: C

Shamet thrives as a pull-up jump shooter, which is vital for Philadelphia given Markelle Fultz’s shooting struggles. He has good size at 6’5 and has plays with poise and pace. Is he strong enough to defend multiple positions? Can he run an offense? There were better players available.

Sports Illustrated
Zhaire Smith Grade: B

This pick is going to the Sixers with Miami’s 2021 first-rounder for Mikal Bridges, so Smith is headed to Philly. We’ll grade this decision for the Sixers, which is a little bit baffling given how strong a fit Bridges was, but does build in more long-term upside for Philadelphia and adds a future first. For the Sixers, who can afford to bring Smith along slowly, it’s an admirably bold move, and while Smith folds in a lot of risk, he will benefit from being able to play off of the established stars already there. It’s a good pickup for the Suns, who sorely needed a defensive-minded wing player to add to their core, and have assembled an appealing collection of young talent.

Landry Shamet Grade: C-

I don’t love this pick for the Sixers, given the breadth of guards still on the board, but I can understand the thinking behind it—Philadelphia needs to put consistent shooting next to Ben Simmons in order to keep the floor spaced and optimize their stars. That said, not everyone viewed Shamet as a first-round caliber talent because of his average athletic ability and defensive shortcomings. Given his experience level the hope has to be that he’ll help the team immediately in a role capacity. J.J. Redick’s free agency could also be a factor here.

MOST READ
Offseason options growing slightly clearer for Sixers
LeBron James will Enter Free Agency
Players the Sixers should not acquire: CJ McCollum
Why you should still believe in Markelle Fultz
Q&A with Texas Tech’s Max Lefevre: Zhaire Smith’s rise, development and approach

FIND TICKETS
Philadelphia area events happening soon:

FRI
Jun 29
Washington Nationals @ Philadelphia Phillies
7:05 PM - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
889 tickets available
SAT
Jun 30
Washington Nationals @ Philadelphia Phillies
6:05 PM - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1,897 tickets available
SEE FULL SCHEDULE
From our sponsor

Retire 12
Sophomore

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Another assistant coach fleeing before the ish hits the fan....

Bird Friend
Senior

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:20 am

Retire 12 wrote:
And after only one year on staff . . . I'm guessing they won't be playing Dayton anytime soon.

That said, sounds like Marshall has pretty well reloaded. They may be a little down this year, but I can't believe they'll be horrible, nor will they be down long.

Adunk33
Senior

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 am

Bird Friend wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:20 am
Retire 12 wrote:
And after only one year on staff . . . I'm guessing they won't be playing Dayton anytime soon.

That said, sounds like Marshall has pretty well reloaded. They may be a little down this year, but I can't believe they'll be horrible, nor will they be down long.
:text-+1:

As much as we would all love to see them fail, not sure they'll be down for long. CBS' Jon Rothstein came out with his preseason picks:

1. UCF
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. SMU
5. Temple
6. UConn
7. Wichita State
8. Memphis
9. Tulsa
10. Tulane
11. East Carolina
12. South Florida

Its good to know the No.7 team in that conference won't schedule an MVC team but the No.1 will.

PubIIDreaming
Sophomore

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 am

As much as we would all love to see them fail, not sure they'll be down for long. CBS' Jon Rothstein came out with his preseason picks:

1. UCF
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. SMU
5. Temple
6. UConn
7. Wichita State
8. Memphis
9. Tulsa
10. Tulane
11. East Carolina
12. South Florida

Its good to know the No.7 team in that conference won't schedule an MVC team but the No.1 will.
I wonder what those pinheads over at shockernet are saying about this. LOL! 7th place! Couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase!

• Information