If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Coach is at it again!

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:36 pm
Bird Friend wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:42 pm
Humdinger wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm
I love Dan, and I love his chutzpah.

NC State wouldn't have made Tourney. They had 10 losses headed into the ACC tournament. 52 team field, without all the analytical migraine of today. Won 9 in a row at that point to be TheDancingKings.

Outside of that, great point, and go get 'em Coach! Would love to see him and Bilas do an interview.
According to selection chair for ‘83 Dance, NCState was in.
Hey buddy. What if they had lost the ACC tourney opener...which they almost did?? Hmmmnn... :think: :think:

No 10 loss team had ever made the tournament before. That would have put them at 11 losses. They were playing under the assumption that they wouldn't make it.

All irrelevant today, of course.

Maybe you and i can just fight it out. Board seems to like that!
North Carolina State was 8-6 in conference play. So I don’t have an issue with them. It’s the 8-10 teams now that are getting in I have an issue with.

Birdswin
Sophomore

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:48 pm

I give Dan Muller a standing ovation!!! Bravo, Bravo!!!

That article by Pat Forde was very good and obviously hit nerve with Bilas, who wants to defend the P6 conferences. In a related item, Ken Palm was on 670 this morning - he said and then went to defend - that Loyola would not deserve to be in if they had not won Arch Madness. Pressed further - Mr. Palm said no matter what happens in the tournament, have NOTHING to do with changing how or who get in. That was an amazing comment. Mulligan and Handley were astounded by that response. Mr. Palm went further to say that even if Loyola to win the National Championship - that would do nothing to him in how he believes the Committee will choose teams in the future. WOW!!!

This means no one at the NCAA does what is very common in the business world, and especially accounting - No Back Testing is performed to validate the "selection model" - that is like banging your head against a concrete wall, yet not figuring out why it hurts each time you do it.

bombay
Sophomore

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 pm

It's about the distribution of money, period. Just like real life, the rich get richer.

Period.

V Boy
Sophomore

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:09 pm

ISU FAN 1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm
Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm
Dan Muller isn't about to take this "small schools are ruining the tournament" crap that has been floating recently.

Mad Dogg Radio on SXM yesterday had a whole 1 hour segment dedicated to the host calling Loyola "Cute", but ultimately a waste of everyone's time, going so far as to insist that re-seeding the Final Four every year to give the "Cinderella" the hardest possible path to a championship (even after 6 straight callers called in to call the idea completely full of crap) was the only logical way to "fix" this.

"I don't see why Kansas and Villanova- two teams who have deserved to be here all year, who people want to see play for a national championship- should have to play that game in a semi final to then run over a nobody in the final. Everyone would rather have the 2 1 seeds in the final."

No. No they wouldn't.
Will Dan ever take the "if you can't beat them, join them" path? Or is he assuming the mantle of the mid-major spokesman for life? There's some amount of hypocrisy to banging the drum if he defects to the dark side down the road. Although I couldn't blame him if he did.
Was just thinking the same thing. I honestly don’t think he cares. He is fighting the fight at his alma mater. He doesn’t cheat. He makes good money. His conscious is clean. He doesn’t really have anything to lose. If he’s on the Bubble and they don’t pick him he still wins.

It’s almost as if he’s got his megaphone out so if he has a great reg season and loses at Arch there is a paper trail. It’s actually very smart is planned. I don’t think it is though. I think he’s just speaking from the heart.

Red Rocker
Freshman

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Yea, we were a sweet 16 sleeper that never got the chance. We lost in OT to UNI in STL

TreRoberson4Heisman
Sophomore

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Marshall rebuttal

Topoly28
Freshman

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 am

I wonder if someone reminded Marshall that he was there as a player and as an assistant at Vanderbilt.

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:44 am

Interesting. I hope Dan backs away from this now. It is fun to fire a shot and get one fired back. This could get ugly if Dan decides to go down the "Well, my boosters weren't willing to buy as many 4 star players" argument.

Its time to just focus on next season.

Adunk33
Senior

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 am

Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Interesting. I hope Dan backs away from this now. It is fun to fire a shot and get one fired back. This could get ugly if Dan decides to go down the "Well, my boosters weren't willing to buy as many 4 star players" argument.

I'd be SHOCKED (no pun intended) if Muller said anything back. That's rarely been his game, with the exception of Jay Bias.

DoubleDeuce
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:58 am

HAHA! Embrace the hate! Too bad there's no chance there could be a regular game between the teams. Could meet in St. Louis.

DoubleDeuce
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:59 am

DoubleDeuce wrote:
HAHA! Embrace the hate! Too bad there's no chance there could be a regular game between the teams. Could meet in St. Louis.
Maybe just a home and home.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Redbirdwarrior wrote:

I'd be SHOCKED (no pun intended) if Muller said anything back. That's rarely been his game, with the exception of Jay Bias.
I agree, I don't think Dan touches this one with a 10ft pole, but I think it really shows how much the two guys don't like each other. And one thing I will hope for until the end of Muller's ISU Coaching career is that we meet WSU in the NCAA Tournament, and beat them, if for no other reason than to have Marshall have an absolute meltdown.

Chicagobirdfan
Freshman

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:09 am

DWRedbird wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Redbirdwarrior wrote:

I agree, I don't think Dan touches this one with a 10ft pole, but I think it really shows how much the two guys don't like each other. And one thing I will hope for until the end of Muller's ISU Coaching career is that we meet WSU in the NCAA Tournament, and beat them, if for no other reason than to have Marshall have an absolute meltdown.
I knew Marshall would fire back, he just can’t help himself. Surprised it took this long. Love it the back and forth and wish we could get a deal to play each other going.

Keep in mind Marshall, Muller played and won in the NCAA tournament as an Athlete... something you may have missed during your D3 playing days.

Humdinger
Senior

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:11 am

DoubleDeuce wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:59 am
DoubleDeuce wrote:
Maybe just a home and home.

I would love a home and home with Wichita.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:18 am

Chicagobirdfan wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:09 am
I knew Marshall would fire back, he just can’t help himself. Surprised it took this long. Love it the back and forth and wish we could get a deal to play each other going.

Keep in mind Marshall, Muller played and won in the NCAA tournament as an Athlete... something you may have missed during your D3 playing days.
I wish we could play them in the regular season too, as I think with the rivalry we've formed (much as WSU fans are loath to admit it), would make it a hell of a fun game. That said, unless the ADs mandate it, this would never happen.

Only way the two of us will meet is in the NCAAs at this point.

Adunk33
Senior

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:45 am

I didn't want to start a thread but had a thought. A few years back, Muller stated there was mutual interest with him and Dayton for their HC job. That suggests Muller sees the A10 as a step up career-wise from the MVC. With that said, the A10 currently has two HC vacancies at Rhode Island and La Salle. I'm sure Muller IS NOT looking for a new gig, he would be completely foolish to leave what he calls potentially the team with the "most talent he's had at ISU." The likelihood of this happening is less than 1% but it's just a thought. If a run is made next season, Muller could be getting some calls again and will have no Key, Phil, or Milik to come back to.

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I don't think Coach is making the jump at the A-10. Right now, the Power 6 are REALLY running away with the money, recruits and pull with the NCAA. The A-10 is coming back down to MVC level faster than anything else.

The only way HCDM leaves is if a big program from a big conference with a big checkbook comes open. I don't even think Pitt would interest him right now. You'd probably have to be in a Marquette, Florida, Mizzou, USC level to be able to woo him at this point.

Humdinger
Senior

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
I didn't want to start a thread but had a thought. A few years back, Muller stated there was mutual interest with him and Dayton for their HC job. That suggests Muller sees the A10 as a step up career-wise from the MVC. With that said, the A10 currently has two HC vacancies at Rhode Island and La Salle. I'm sure Muller IS NOT looking for a new gig, he would be completely foolish to leave what he calls potentially the team with the "most talent he's had at ISU." The likelihood of this happening is less than 1% but it's just a thought. If a run is made next season, Muller could be getting some calls again and will have no Key, Phil, or Milik to come back to.

It's because it was Dayton. 13K arena, packed house every night, upwards of 2M in income/incentives if he did well.

I hope we win BIG next year, and Dan gets his career opportunity and hits the road.

Humdinger
Senior

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Or we win big and find a bazillionaire donor, wrap Dan up, and we hit the national stage from here on out.

CaliRdBrd
Junior

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
Next year we have the best talent we’ve had in a long time is often coach-speak to keep fans interested.
99.9% of the time it’s bs. In our case there seems to be a bit of truth but, as usual, there are a million intangibles.

• Information