If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Loyola

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
V Boy
Sophomore

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:24 am

You have to think if Loyola has 2-3 more good years that it would be an excellent candidate for Big East.

bawhale88
Freshman

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am

V Boy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:24 am
You have to think if Loyola has 2-3 more good years that it would be an excellent candidate for Big East.
I was thinking same thing but Big east already has depaul from chi. I dont think they want two teams from same city although seton hall and st johns are both from NYC metro. I am not sure big east wants to expand anymore either.

ISU FAN 1
Senior

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:02 pm

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:33 am
WoodlandWarrior wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:45 pm
Agree that our guys could learn a lot from Loyola’s season. Fundamental details like defensive switching, active hands in passing lanes, allowing limited spacing for opponents’ perimeter shooters, etc. Great job by their coaching staff this year in assembling the talent.

I like our roster for next year, barring departure, but still have concerns with rebounding and defense. We allowed a lot of points this year.
What did we learn from Wichita’s run?
Exactly. How is watching someone play basketball the right way going to be impactful, when our coaching staff can’t even reach our guys?

Maybe forcing our guys to watch their own game video, Clockwork Orange style, would cure them.

Tpguy
Sophomore

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:09 pm

redbirdron1 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:19 am
I really hope Porter keeps the momentum and brings in good/talented kids. I want Loyola
to be a continued recognizable name for the MVC.
:text-+1:

Joe_Y
Freshman

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Sorry to be selfish, but I want ISU to pick up the momentum and be a recognizable name.

ISU FAN 1
Senior

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Joe_Y wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:12 pm
Sorry to be selfish, but I want ISU to pick up the momentum and be a recognizable name.
I hope all MVC teams can raise their game. It’s hard to schedule quality nonconf and would be nice to get multiple programs with the ability to deliver potential quality win games on the schedule.

bb fan
Junior

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:56 pm

I don' t have to think that, VBoy. DePaul will never allow LUC in the BE. LUC does nor have the facilities.

V Boy
Sophomore

Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:24 pm

bb fan wrote:
I don' t have to think that, VBoy. DePaul will never allow LUC in the BE. LUC does nor have the facilities.
DePaul doesn’t run the Big Priest and isn’t exactly capturing the hearts and minds of Chicago right now. Loyola has deep pockets (endowment is 1.5x DePaul’s) and is a Jesuit school like Creighton, Marquette, etc.

And if both DePaul and Loyola were in the Priest it could actually help DePaul have crosstown rivalry game in the league and further boost Chicago as a Big East hub (more so than Big Ten).

I don’t think this will happen anytime soon, but if Porter stays there and wins the league a couple more times in next 2-3 years it’s going to come up.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:42 am

V Boy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:24 pm
bb fan wrote:
DePaul doesn’t run the Big Priest and isn’t exactly capturing the hearts and minds of Chicago right now. Loyola has deep pockets (endowment is 1.5x DePaul’s) and is a Jesuit school like Creighton, Marquette, etc.

And if both DePaul and Loyola were in the Priest it could actually help DePaul have crosstown rivalry game in the league and further boost Chicago as a Big East hub (more so than Big Ten).

I don’t think this will happen anytime soon, but if Porter stays there and wins the league a couple more times in next 2-3 years it’s going to come up.
I don't think the Big East will be looking to expand any time soon unless Notre Dame is looking to make the jump. If that happens in the next couple of years and Loyola is still hot and in contention in the valley. Otherwise I could see them taking St. Louis as an expansion partner for Notre Dame.

DannyCooksey
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 am

Congrats to Loyola on a great season. They were very fun to watch and cheer for. Hopefully one day that is us.

bb fan
Junior

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:07 am

I think it is very possible the BE will expand to 10 in the next couple of years. But it won't be Loyola. When conferences expand these days, they want to expand their cable footprint. They don't get one single additional cable sub by adding Loyola. Look more for expansion in a market like St. Louis. There is very little financial benefit for being redundant in any single market.

And if you don't think current members influence what new schools are added to their conference, you simply don't appreciate how conference politics work. DePaul can quickly build a consensus among other members to block Loyola. They will say it is a bad precedent to allow other schools from the same market, having to share media exposure, advertising $$$, etc. DePaul will tell other members that would be bad if it happened in their market as well. And again, Loyola simply does not have the facilities the BE wants as well.

Actually, I see them going after a school like Drake instead. A whole new pretty big market and cable subs, and it strings better geographically with Creighton. I know Blue Jay fans would like it. They are out on a far away island as it is. Do I think Bulldogs are gonna be in the BE anytime soon. Not likely, But probably a choice they would make well ahead of LUC. And these days, it's really not about how good your team is. It is all about your market. I'll say it again. How the heck to do think a program like Rutgers gets in the BIG?

Reading speculation like this makes me chuckle. It was not all that long ago some of us were trying to defend Loyola coming to the Valley. Some posters were saying it was a bad choice. Now we hear voices speculating that Loyola may now be TOO GOOD for the Valley, and leaving :)

The Rambler's success points to one fact some posters just don't seem to wanna hear. The Valley can be as good or better than it was when Wichita and Creighton was here. Let's get a couple of other members playing well like Loyola. One needs and must be US. Actually a year ago we were good enough, and should have been in the tourney. Having Loyola be good is indeed great for the Valley. Better than Creighton and or Wichita. Because of where they are. I think having a successful Loyola, especially, is our best chance to getting back to being a multiple bid league.

Brick
Freshman

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:40 am

ISU FAN 1 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:02 pm
CaliRdBrd wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:33 am
WoodlandWarrior wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:45 pm
Agree that our guys could learn a lot from Loyola’s season. Fundamental details like defensive switching, active hands in passing lanes, allowing limited spacing for opponents’ perimeter shooters, etc. Great job by their coaching staff this year in assembling the tale

I like our roster for next year, barring departure, but still have concerns with rebounding and defense. We allowed a lot of
What did we learn from Wichita’s run?
Exactly. How is watching someone play basketball the right way going to be impactful, when our coaching staff can’t even reach our guys?

Maybe forcing our guys to watch their own game video, Clockwork Orange style, would cure them.

According to Dan our guys bought into defense down the stretch. So I take that as listening to their coaches. Yarbrough certainly made big strides as well in terms of coachability too. Plus there’s little doubt we will be a better offensive team next year.., in my opinion

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:06 am

Back on topic. Did anyone hear the 670 interview with Porter when they asked him if he'll be back? Probably one of the worst worded answers I've ever heard. He essentially said "I love Chicago and Loyola, but almost certainly not"

If/When Porter leaves, does Krutwig go with him?

DaveBird10
Freshman

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 am

Redbirdwarrior wrote:Back on topic. Did anyone hear the 670 interview with Porter when they asked him if he'll be back? Probably one of the worst worded answers I've ever heard. He essentially said "I love Chicago and Loyola, but almost certainly not"

If/When Porter leaves, does Krutwig go with him?
What jobs are still open?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:19 am

The argument 670 suggested is that there is still plenty of time to fire a coach across the board. A final 4 coach who is this young and popular with a Chicago recruiting pipeline is worth his weight in $100 bills.

topiarydan
Freshman

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:20 am

Unless there is something in the works Porter is staying at LU. His recruiting universe is in the Midwest and he can build something there. Look for LU to get in a nice grad transfer type to replace Richardson/Ingram. LU and ISU will vye for title next year.

BTbird
Freshman

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:23 am

I don't see Porter leaving Loyola. I hope Loyola keeps the momentum and solidifies itself as the second best program in the valley. ;)

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 am

I think ISU and LU will battle for the title next year, but Porter is either going P5 this year or he has to win 3-4 more Valley titles to make the exact same jump.

I have zero thoughts that he will be in Loyola colors next season.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 am

Redbirdwarrior wrote:
I think ISU and LU will battle for the title next year, but Porter is either going P5 this year or he has to win 3-4 more Valley titles to make the exact same jump.

There would probably need to be a major firing this offseason for Porter to go to. I think LUC is going to throw money at him this year, and keep him from going to another mid-major. I would be surprised if he wasn't at the helm of Loyola next year to start the year.

Adunk33
Senior

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:18 am

DWRedbird wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 am
Redbirdwarrior wrote:

There would probably need to be a major firing this offseason for Porter to go to. I think LUC is going to throw money at him this year, and keep him from going to another mid-major. I would be surprised if he wasn't at the helm of Loyola next year to start the year.
670 The Score was talking a week or so ago about how Loyola has alumni that could get Moser to making $1 mil/year. I definitely think Moser is with Loyola next year. He'll have to prove this year was not a fluke. He came into the league and finished last and withing 4 years had a first place team that went to the Final 4. I believe power conference schools will look at his road the the Final 4 and scoff. If they would have beat Virginia, it may be different. If team's would have waited, I could have seen him being a candidate for the Xavier or Pitt jobs. Rhode Island is available now, but somewhat a lateral move (despite the A10 getting 3 teams in this year). Other vacant positions: ECU (AAC), Fresno State (MWC), and La Salle (A10).

It'll be interesting to watch.

• Information