If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Welcome Josh Jefferson!

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Chicagobirdfan
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 pm
Madison is a horrible defender whoever said that. He runs around and slaps people's wrists for the fun of it. The worst part is I didn't see progression from him like I did with EC and even Hein, for God's sakes.
Very strongly disagree. Easily best defender on team and we need him back.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:44 pm

Chicagobirdfan wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Madison is a horrible defender whoever said that. He runs around and slaps people's wrists for the fun of it. The worst part is I didn't see progression from him like I did with EC and even Hein, for God's sakes.
I'd like to see him back on the team, but he is not the best defender on the team. He hasn't learned how to play D with his feet, and fouls more than he should trying to get steals or after his guy beats him off the dribble. He has the quickness to be a stellar defender, he just has to learn to play with his feet.

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm pretty sure Madison is Dan's favorite defender on the team. That goes a long way...

Reggie
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Williams is ahead of where Tony Wills was at this point, just saying.

Chicagobirdfan
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 pm

DWRedbird wrote:
Chicagobirdfan wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
I'd like to see him back on the team, but he is not the best defender on the team. He hasn't learned how to play D with his feet, and fouls more than he should trying to get steals or after his guy beats him off the dribble. He has the quickness to be a stellar defender, he just has to learn to play with his feet.
Who in your opinion is the best defender on the team?

East Coast Bird
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:20 pm

I would never say Madison was horrible in any way he has played in The MVC Copeland played in a non scholarship community college league where you have to stay in a certain region to play unlike Kansas Iowa Illinois where you can recruit comp in California juco is low ie no national tourney just cali community college. With this being said he may blow the valley up we did get him to choose us over every valley team and 50 or so D-1 schools

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 pm
I REALLY like this signing. ISU now has 4 guards that can, apparently, can drive and hit the three. If Key, Copeland, WT and Jefferson can average 19+ min between the 4 of them and hit 38%+ from 3, you are going to see an INCREDIBLE amount of space down low for Fayne to rip people in half. This isn't even considering the probable front runner for Valley POY in MY on the roster.

Great post right here. And if we can move the doggone ball, it'll be even better.

Redbird Alum 2004
Junior

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Rollbirds5 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:12 pm
Adunk33 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 pm
JHBird wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:54 pm
Does seem like Madison might be the odd man out. I couldn't blame him or Gassman if they wanted to play somewhere else. How many D1 schools would be interested in Gassman? Obviously Duke won't be looking for him, but he did enough to show some promise I think for a D1 that needs an extra shooter. It's a shame there's not enough room for him to remain on scholarship. I know I never cringed when they brought him in, and technically he was only a freshman.
Madison was our best on-ball defender last year. He showed glimpses of Twills type locking down. Especially in Saint Louis against INST. I hope they keep some room for him, but with 2 years of eligibility, I could see it, unfortunately
Iv heard a rumor where he doesn't know if he wants to keep playing due to his ongoing knee issues, I'd be surprised if he just quit since a free college education is a nice deal but that's what iv heard
Heard this as well. As his knees wore down with the season so did his shot. Good kid with great athleticism and heart. Just really bad knees.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Chicagobirdfan wrote:
DWRedbird wrote:
Chicagobirdfan wrote:

The best overall defender is probably Boogie. Moves his feet well on defense and for the most part keeps his man in front of him, hustles back on a fast breaks to contest layups or get blocks, excellent help side defender, has good length and instincts for deflecting balls in passing lanes, and is a good rebounder for a wing.

Chicagobirdfan
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm

DWRedbird wrote:
Chicagobirdfan wrote:
DWRedbird wrote:

The best overall defender is probably Boogie. Moves his feet well on defense and for the most part keeps his man in front of him, hustles back on a fast breaks to contest layups or get blocks, excellent help side defender, has good length and instincts for deflecting balls in passing lanes, and is a good rebounder for a wing.
We will disagree here. Boogie has tons of defensive lapses and showed all year he struggles defending 1 on 1. Now off the ball blocks, boogie is our best. There is a reason Madison defends the other teams best player and even hein defends the best player when MW on bench.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Chicagobirdfan wrote:
DWRedbird wrote:
Chicagobirdfan wrote:

We will disagree here. Boogie has tons of defensive lapses and showed all year he struggles defending 1 on 1. Now off the ball blocks, boogie is our best. There is a reason Madison defends the other teams best player and even hein defends the best player when MW on bench.
Boogie doesn't have the speed to guard the other teams best guard. Madison has athleticism, but 1 on 1, his guy gets by him on a consistent basis, this often led to Madison having to foul the guy as he went to basket, either bodying him as they went towards the hoop or fouling going for the steal/preventing the guys progress. Madison led the team in fouls this year, and it's not because he was unlucky defensively. I like Madison, and I think he has potential to be a great defender, but he wasn't the best on the team in my opinion.

East Coast Bird
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:06 pm

I would say if Boogie struggled then he struggled way less than anyone else on the team I would say most games he was a fan favorite when it came to making defensive plays. We were not a great defensive team but he guarded 1 on 1 just as well as any one else also I agree Matt played some awesome D as well.

Bird Friend
Senior

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Well, you can blame coach Muller for that. He’s the one who said Madison is our best defender. But what would he know?

Bird Friend
Senior

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Redbird Alum 2004 wrote:
Rollbirds5 wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:

Madison was our best on-ball defender last year. He showed glimpses of Twills type locking down. Especially in Saint Louis against INST. I hope they keep some room for him, but with 2 years of eligibility, I could see it, unfortunately
Iv heard a rumor where he doesn't know if he wants to keep playing due to his ongoing knee issues, I'd be surprised if he just quit since a free college education is a nice deal but that's what iv heard
Heard this as well. As his knees wore down with the season so did his shot. Good kid with great athleticism and heart. Just really bad knees.
My understanding is that ISU can continue his scholarship if he is forced to quit due to injury. And it would not count against the team’s allotment.

MJ_Durk
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 pm
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Well, you can blame coach Muller for that. He’s the one who said Madison is our best defender. But what would he know?
If Madison had a reliable jumper you guys would be saying he should be all-conference
Saturdays are for the Birds

Jsnhbe1Birds
Junior

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 pm

If Muller likes fouls then MW is his guy.

cpacmel
Junior

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:34 pm
Redbird Alum 2004 wrote:
Rollbirds5 wrote:

My understanding is that ISU can continue his scholarship if he is forced to quit due to injury. And it would not count against the team’s allotment.
Happened to Mike Vandello a few years ago.

Redbird222
Sophomore

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Rollbirds5 wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:
JHBird wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:54 pm
Does seem like Madison might be the odd man out. I couldn't blame him or Gassman if they wanted to play somewhere else. How many D1 schools would be interested in Gassman? Obviously Duke won't be looking for him, but he did enough to show some promise I think for a D1 that needs an extra shooter. It's a shame there's not enough room for him to remain on scholarship. I know I never cringed when they brought him in, and technically he was only a freshman.
I know in other sports your scholarship is still honored if you are injured and it does not count against the sports count.

HT59
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:25 pm

DWRedbird wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:03 pm
Chicagobirdfan wrote:
DWRedbird wrote:

Boogie doesn't have the speed to guard the other teams best guard. Madison has athleticism, but 1 on 1, his guy gets by him on a consistent basis, this often led to Madison having to foul the guy as he went to basket, either bodying him as they went towards the hoop or fouling going for the steal/preventing the guys progress. Madison led the team in fouls this year, and it's not because he was unlucky defensively. I like Madison, and I think he has potential to be a great defender, but he wasn't the best on the team in my opinion.
:text-+1:

Chicagobirdfan
Freshman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:24 pm

With all these guards, it would be nice to play them all with more full court pressing. I feel muller would love to do this if he had the personnel.

• Information