24 Hrs Later

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
ekeyfanclub
Freshman
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:03 pm

V Boy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 am
I only care about us getting better and bringing in stronger and stronger players.

We are 0-6 in Valley title games in the past 10 or 11 years. And the past couple times we have made it to the championship game it was not competitive.

As far as I know Chastain isn’t even on scholarship, so Muller really hasn’t even taken on any risk yet.

I hope he turns out to be our best player. It would probably help make the arena more than half full.

I hope his knee Heels.

I hope he can dribble with his left hand.

I hope. I hope. I hope.

I want to get to.

I know. I know. I know.

You take one look at a kid like Townes. I know. One look at a freshman like Krutwig. I know. One look at a kid like Williamson. I know.

Muller is constantly in I hope mode with half the team. And 80% of this board is complicit to that approach.

The amount of occasions where people on this board defend ISU is 100% not in line with what we have achieved.

And I am getting beat up on “facts” by Sargent Hulka and CPacmel, who want to “change the conversation.”

It is pathetic.
Isn't every recruit a "I hope"? All three of those guys you listed for Loyola were "I hope" before they played. I know that Yarbrough was one of the most dominate players in the Valley this year. I know that Evans and Fayne were very good players for us. I know that Tinsley really started to play well at the end of the year. No one had high expectations for Fayne when we recruited him. Most people gave up on Evans after his freshman year. No one knew if Yarbrough would be a triple-double threat every game. Some were saying that Tinsley didn't have D1 talent halfway through his first year playing D1 basketball.

I don't know what will happen next year though and neither does Loyola. I expect improvement and I expect that we will be in contention for a Valley championship, but I don't know that will happen. There are so many unknowns in sports which is what makes it so exciting. I don't understand why the idea that many of us expect and hope Chastain will improve our bench play next year is such a controversial statement. I don't know what the point of being a sports fan is if you don't at least have some hope and optimism about your team.

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1228
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 pm

I think Chastain has potential to be the best Matt on the roster.

User avatar
Joe_Y
Freshman
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:16 am
Location: Normal

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Kid hasn't even put on the jersey yet, and you wonder why these kids keep transferring.

Not quite sure if I'm on a fan board any more.

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm

ekeyfanclub wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:03 pm
Isn't every recruit a "I hope"? All three of those guys you listed for Loyola were "I hope" before they played. I know that Yarbrough was one of the most dominate players in the Valley this year. I know that Evans and Fayne were very good players for us. I know that Tinsley really started to play well at the end of the year. No one had high expectations for Fayne when we recruited him. Most people gave up on Evans after his freshman year. No one knew if Yarbrough would be a triple-double threat every game. Some were saying that Tinsley didn't have D1 talent halfway through his first year playing D1 basketball.

I don't know what will happen next year though and neither does Loyola. I expect improvement and I expect that we will be in contention for a Valley championship, but I don't know that will happen. There are so many unknowns in sports which is what makes it so exciting. I don't understand why the idea that many of us expect and hope Chastain will improve our bench play next year is such a controversial statement. I don't know what the point of being a sports fan is if you don't at least have some hope and optimism about your team.
Well thought out, and spot on
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:18 pm

ISU FAN 1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 pm
I think Chastain has potential to be the best Matt on the roster.
I like the way you think :clap:
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Joe_Y wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 pm
Kid hasn't even put on the jersey yet, and you wonder why these kids keep transferring.

Not quite sure if I'm on a fan board any more.
:text-+1:
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

bb fan
Sophomore
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 pm

VBoy, you are getting beat up because of the "fact" that you posted that Chastain was "let go", which was nothing but an unfounded, untrue, bogus, very hurtful rumor.

You have a consistent track record of being just plain WRONG. It just seems that you are one of the posters here that defaults, always to whatever the program does, how good our players and coaches are is just plain bad. We must be the worst. And anybody that says anything different does not get it. "Gee, if Matt Chastain left Loyola, they must have not wanted him. That's the only way a lowly place like Illinois State would get him". Sorry, I just SMH at some of the stuff that posted like that, but I get why several are calling you out on this one.

I know our program is not all sunshine and lollipops. We struggle with a lot of stuff. There is a thread here about an embarrasing fan at Arch Madness. I am getting to the point where our forum here feels kind of like that sometimes.

Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Here's a thought that hit me this morning and has me chuckling, thinking about the response of some of us here at Redbirdfan.

Brace yourselves. Here it comes.

What if Matt Hein...gets better?? As in the same kind of improvement he experienced from last year to this year??

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Here's a thought that hit me this morning and has me chuckling, thinking about the response of some of us here at Redbirdfan.

Brace yourselves. Here it comes.

What if Matt Hein...gets better?? As in the same kind of improvement he experienced from last year to this year??
Image
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1228
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Here's a thought that hit me this morning and has me chuckling, thinking about the response of some of us here at Redbirdfan.

Brace yourselves. Here it comes.

What if Matt Hein...gets better?? As in the same kind of improvement he experienced from last year to this year??
I almost requited a post that buried him on a proposed depth chart, and suggested he find a destination where he can start the next two years.

I'll bet he plays quite a bit here next year. Dan seems sold on him, and it doesn't matter a damn bit what anyone on here thinks of him.

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Here's a thought that hit me this morning and has me chuckling, thinking about the response of some of us here at Redbirdfan.

Brace yourselves. Here it comes.

What if Matt Hein...gets better?? As in the same kind of improvement he experienced from last year to this year??
He could then transfer to Division II West Florida College and be a two year starter ( if they agree to take David N'diaye as a package)

JHBird
Sophomore
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Here's a thought that hit me this morning and has me chuckling, thinking about the response of some of us here at Redbirdfan.

Brace yourselves. Here it comes.

What if Matt Hein...gets better?? As in the same kind of improvement he experienced from last year to this year??
I have to admit it's a lot of fun when Hein gets on one of his mini-rolls, like hits a three followed by a runner in the lane, then snagging a few rebounds then throwing up one of his patented airballs that winds up as a pass for a basket. It has to be easier to get an offensive rebound when he shoots, cause it could go about anywhere. But seriously, he has had his moments for sure, but he's inconsistent. I think it's all about playing within his ability and not trying to do to much. If he cuts down on his bone head plays he would be completely tolerable as a backup guard. I don't think that kind of improvement is unrealistic...this is really the first year he's played much.

Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:00 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Humdinger wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Here's a thought that hit me this morning and has me chuckling, thinking about the response of some of us here at Redbirdfan.

Brace yourselves. Here it comes.

What if Matt Hein...gets better?? As in the same kind of improvement he experienced from last year to this year??
Image

Laughing. Out. Loud.

V Boy
Sophomore
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:11 pm

bb fan wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 pm
VBoy, you are getting beat up because of the "fact" that you posted that Chastain was "let go", which was nothing but an unfounded, untrue, bogus, very hurtful rumor.

You have a consistent track record of being just plain WRONG. It just seems that you are one of the posters here that defaults, always to whatever the program does, how good our players and coaches are is just plain bad. We must be the worst. And anybody that says anything different does not get it. "Gee, if Matt Chastain left Loyola, they must have not wanted him. That's the only way a lowly place like Illinois State would get him". Sorry, I just SMH at some of the stuff that posted like that, but I get why several are calling you out on this one.

I know our program is not all sunshine and lollipops. We struggle with a lot of stuff. There is a thread here about an embarrasing fan at Arch Madness. I am getting to the point where our forum here feels kind of like that sometimes.
The fact that you interpret my posts this way says a lot. But my expectations were low. I don't get any insight on ISU hoops or anything related to college basketball in general from your posts. What I get is a focus on nit-picking for the sake of making arguments (which you excel at) rather than engaging in any type of substantive discussion about how to improve the program. You value being positive over winning, as if a rising tide of positivity will lift all boats. Newsflash. It won't. What lifts the boat are better players. Loyola has a lot of them. We have a few. We need more in order to dominate.

You are also categorically wrong about my history of posting on this board. I think if you go back to any time an ISU team got hot and prospects were up (end of Nic Moore's freshman year, mid-to-late last year, and a handful of other occasions over the past 15 or so years), you will find that I have been very positive and complimentary to the coaching staff and team as relates to our performance. But, frankly, there just hasn't been that much to celebrate. When it's time to celebrate, I will. Then maybe I'll get to feel like you every time we win a home game against Quincy.

bb fan
Sophomore
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:30 pm

You have no idea how I value winning, VBoy. I value it very much. I guess you missed my post about how sick and tired I am of watching the other team cut down the nets in St. Louis every year.

And I don't care if someone is positive or negative. I take the good with the bad, as long as it's not part what what seems to be a consistent agenda. This came up last week. Show me a post where I am a homer as you called me in that discussion. Crickets from you. You are invited to do that again. Please, post examples of this pie in the sky koolaid drinker homer stuff you accuse me of. Bring it on VBoy. I have plenty of posts here. Let's see one.

I would not have even brought up what I heard about Chastain, if you had not posted your false rumor.

I laughed out loud when you said you were right about PLee "until he was a senior" :) You will always be famous stuff like for that. Famous for being Mr. 7 - 11.

I dunno how many people read our forum. Just some days, I hope it is not many because of some of the stuff you and a few others post. What is the old line --- "I have seen the enemy, and it is us". I feel that way when I read much of what you post.

jbird
Freshman
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm

We are all frustrated about the close-but-no-cigar finishes in the Valley Tournament, but to use 0-6 as an indicator that we are not getting talent is flawed logic. 0-6 during a regular season would be a measure of futility, but 0-6 in championship games means that our talent got us to where eight other conference teams could not get........and those years include some in which Creighton and/or Wichita State were playing at Scottrade Center.

V Boy
Sophomore
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:02 pm

bb fan wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:30 pm
You have no idea how I value winning, VBoy. I value it very much.

And I don't care if someone is positive or negative. I take the good with the bad, as long as it's not part what what seems to be a consistent agenda. This came up last week. Show me a post where I am a homer as you called me in that discussion. Crickets from you. You are invited to do that again. Please, post examples of this pie in the sky koolaid drinker homer stuff you accuse me of. Bring it on VBoy. I have plenty of posts here. Let's see one.

I would not have even brought up what I heard about Chastain, if you had not posted your false rumor.

I laughed out loud when you said you were right about PLee "until he was a senior" :) You will always be famous stuff like for that. Famous for being Mr. 7 - 11.

I dunno how many people read our forum. Just some days, I hope it is not many because of some of the stuff you and a few others post. What is the old line --- "I have seen the enemy, and it is us". I feel that way when I read much of what you post.
This is what I am talking about. You are worried about who is reading our forum. What on earth could you possibly be worried about? That some of the people on this board actually care so much that they would be pissed off about us constantly losing big games or make suggestions about how we need to improve the program.....and that the tone of those posts are not rainbow-ey enough for you? For the love of..... Act like you belong. Quit acting like this is Lincolnland junior college.

The only thing I see you valuing is trying to win the higher ground on minutia issues in front of our 250-person audience. And then you try to shame the "enemy" of ISU hoops fans by nit-picking instead of engaging in bigger issues. Where did you learn this stuff? Are you on Facebook a lot arguing with people?

V Boy
Sophomore
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:09 pm

jbird wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm
We are all frustrated about the close-but-no-cigar finishes in the Valley Tournament, but to use 0-6 as an indicator that we are not getting talent is flawed logic. 0-6 during a regular season would be a measure of futility, but 0-6 in championship games means that our talent got us to where eight other conference teams could not get........and those years include some in which Creighton and/or Wichita State were playing at Scottrade Center.
jbird I respectfully disagree. In many of those games, we were blown out and humiliated (they were not close but no cigars because they were not close). And comparing us only to the 8 other teams with no talent is not the right way to benchmark talent. And throwing out Wichita and Creighton is the exact opposite of who we should be comparing our talent against. We should only compare our talent against the best teams (in our league and in other similar leagues).

The transfer rule has screwed us a couple times and that hurt really badly. I will concede that. It has also helped us too (Yarbrough, Champ, others). Muller seems to finally be getting that under control (fingers crossed). Losing Torrey Ward was a major blow. Losing Yaklich was another big blow. Feels like we are getting good new assistants in. Bottom line is we cannot be satisfied. SIU and Bradley are 1-2 players away from putting us in 4th place next year if we do nothing (Fan 1 pointed this out earlier).

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:15 pm

jbird wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm
We are all frustrated about the close-but-no-cigar finishes in the Valley Tournament, but to use 0-6 as an indicator that we are not getting talent is flawed logic. 0-6 during a regular season would be a measure of futility, but 0-6 in championship games means that our talent got us to where eight other conference teams could not get........and those years include some in which Creighton and/or Wichita State were playing at Scottrade Center.
:text-+1:
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

Birdfriend72
Sophomore
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:36 am

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 pm

V Boy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 am
I only care about us getting better and bringing in stronger and stronger players.

We are 0-6 in Valley title games in the past 10 or 11 years. And the past couple times we have made it to the championship game it was not competitive.

As far as I know Chastain isn’t even on scholarship, so Muller really hasn’t even taken on any risk yet.

I hope he turns out to be our best player. It would probably help make the arena more than half full.

I hope his knee Heels.

I hope he can dribble with his left hand.

I hope. I hope. I hope.

I want to get to.

I know. I know. I know.

You take one look at a kid like Townes. I know. One look at a freshman like Krutwig. I know. One look at a kid like Williamson. I know.

Muller is constantly in I hope mode with half the team. And 80% of this board is complicit to that approach.

The amount of occasions where people on this board defend ISU is 100% not in line with what we have achieved.

And I am getting beat up on “facts” by Sargent Hulka and CPacmel, who want to “change the conversation.”

It is pathetic.
You hit the nail on the head. Muller has recruited a very inconsistent roster outside of 3 players. Now Chastain is the next big time player. I hope he is. With Mullers track record, only one thing is certain...and that's 2-3 players should be leaving the program. I don't care that someone leaves...as long as we continue to improve.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests