Next season

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1246
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:47 pm

The Beak wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 pm
Racine Bird 3813 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 pm
I don't mean this badly but it's hard to get excited about next season when we keep coming in 2nd.
2018- lost by 16
2017- lost by 20
2015- lost by 9
2012- lost by 4 in OT
2009- lost by 3
2008- lost by 30

I am tired of having my hopes squashed. I didn't even follow the team this year. I didn't watch any of the tournament this year until yesterday. If that makes me a bad fan so be it- but to be 0-6 in the title game since 97 sucks. Sadly the teams that Jank had back in 08, 09, and 12 would have run circles around Loyola. We don't have Creighton and Wich St in front of us anymore. I like DM and he's gotten us to the title game 3 out of the last 4 years and he should be recognized for that- but I don't feel like the program has really grown during his time. Sorry to vent- but I'm running out of patience.
Imagine following Evansville. ;)

I am excited about next years team, and I think the glass if half full. Hoping Basketball IQ jumps a few points though.
Milik: says he is back
Evans: healthy
Fayne: +20 lbs
King David: + 20 lbs - last year a difference maker by seasons end, don't know what happened this year
Copeland - Muller on record saying he has often been the best player in practice
Tinsley: + confidence
Chastain has some game
Clarence: from the start, and has 7 months to work on defense
Hein: If he improves as much from this year to next as he did from last year to this one, could be interesting.
Williams: I think he is what he is
Bruninga: Not sure
Gassman: Not sure.
New guys: No idea.
Even Muller said he's given up on adding weight to David and Phil. Says they burn off everything they put in them. And the weight training doesn't seem to be taking either.

V Boy
Sophomore
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Will accredit cPac for the consistently good finds. This looks like good news overall, although am still concerned we need more help at guard and center.

bb fan
Sophomore
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:35 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 pm
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am
Humdinger wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 am



ChiRedbirdFan...you're as knowledgeable and invested as they come. Not a jack wagon mouth-spewer, but a terrific fan with more skin in the game than most of us here. You want examples of berating?? Like, really?? I've seen a sht-ton of berating from this forum. Criticizing is one thing and that's fair game if a player accepts a scholarship and throws on the uniform. Hek I've been banging on our best player for his production of turnover lollipops.

But plenty of berating here. The reasonable voices, including you, call 'em out, though.
I agree with your perspective but like you said criticizing basketball play is fair game. Making fun of the player personally (beyond basketball) is a different deal. I have not read a lot of personal attacks where basketball skills/play was not involved.
So your're a 19 year old kid and your dream comes true. You get a scholarship to play basketball. You get to your new school and settle in. It's now home to you. You do everything your coach asks. Everything your professors ask. You go balls out in everything you do. You get better on the court. Even earn playing time. Your girlfriend is here. Your buddies. You buy in. Redbirds for life!!! And yet, after all of the blood sweat and tears, some grown ass men hiding behind screen names continually ask that your life be yanked out from under you. Almost on a daily basis. You are a wasted scholarship. To me that kid is being berated.
All in the name of sports right?
Wow great post, Timmy. Amazing to me we have folks here who don't get this.

User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 am
Bird Friend wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:03 pm

It happens. Bender went from ISU to Washington after taking the Birds to the NIT. His sole NCAA was by getting to host the last MVC tourney held on campus and not St. Louis three seasons earlier. He never even had a 20-win season.

Bender didn't take a team to NIT. NCAA appearance first year, the 5-win juggernaut his second, back to back MVC regular season titles his 3rd and 4th seasons, 19 wins each year. No NIT invite though. Sorry if I come off smartass'ery.
Wow. You're right. Coulda sworn . . . but that just makes the point even stronger. He really didn't have that much success here and still moved on to a P5 school . . .
Image

User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Guys. We're going to be fine. It's all good. And this says why:



😜
Image

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:36 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 pm
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am
Humdinger wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 am



ChiRedbirdFan...you're as knowledgeable and invested as they come. Not a jack wagon mouth-spewer, but a terrific fan with more skin in the game than most of us here. You want examples of berating?? Like, really?? I've seen a sht-ton of berating from this forum. Criticizing is one thing and that's fair game if a player accepts a scholarship and throws on the uniform. Hek I've been banging on our best player for his production of turnover lollipops.

But plenty of berating here. The reasonable voices, including you, call 'em out, though.
I agree with your perspective but like you said criticizing basketball play is fair game. Making fun of the player personally (beyond basketball) is a different deal. I have not read a lot of personal attacks where basketball skills/play was not involved.
So your're a 19 year old kid and your dream comes true. You get a scholarship to play basketball. You get to your new school and settle in. It's now home to you. You do everything your coach asks. Everything your professors ask. You go balls out in everything you do. You get better on the court. Even earn playing time. Your girlfriend is here. Your buddies. You buy in. Redbirds for life!!! And yet, after all of the blood sweat and tears, some grown ass men hiding behind screen names continually ask that your life be yanked out from under you. Almost on a daily basis. You are a wasted scholarship. To me that kid is being berated.
All in the name of sports right?
I think your opening sentence says it all about what these players are receiving..."so you're a 19 year old and your dream comes true". Playing college basketball offers so many benefits/opportunities for players/students but it certainly comes with a lot of pressure to perform and once they accept the benefits and get a chance to live out their dream they should know that they are open to both praise and criticism. Fans/alums/students are paying hundreds, thousands and sometimes more to subsidize the players college athletic/academic experience. Someone is paying for those benefits.
With all that said I hear what you are saying and I have empathy for all people but one can not reasonably expect, IMO, that player's performance, including their role on the team, is taboo to discuss on a sports forum. Ideally no one would have to experience anything unpleasant but that is not how life works. For the record I have a lot more empathy for a student that is stressed out due to taking out loans and/or working in college to make college happen (especially since the typical student at Isu is charged directly or indirectly $900 a year to pay for ISU athletics) or for an 19 to 23 year old that is serving in the military than I do for some student athlete that is living out their dream of playing college hoops and is being criticized for their performance.

rdt99
Freshman
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 am

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am

WE need to have a great non conference season. Have the resume established to get an at large. But we need to win the conference and the tourney. No excuses!

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1246
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 am

rdt99 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am
WE need to have a great non conference season. Have the resume established to get an at large. But we need to win the conference and the tourney. No excuses!
As long as we are winning everything else, just crown their ass!


User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 am

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:36 pm
TIMMY wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 pm
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am


I agree with your perspective but like you said criticizing basketball play is fair game. Making fun of the player personally (beyond basketball) is a different deal. I have not read a lot of personal attacks where basketball skills/play was not involved.
So your're a 19 year old kid and your dream comes true. You get a scholarship to play basketball. You get to your new school and settle in. It's now home to you. You do everything your coach asks. Everything your professors ask. You go balls out in everything you do. You get better on the court. Even earn playing time. Your girlfriend is here. Your buddies. You buy in. Redbirds for life!!! And yet, after all of the blood sweat and tears, some grown ass men hiding behind screen names continually ask that your life be yanked out from under you. Almost on a daily basis. You are a wasted scholarship. To me that kid is being berated.
All in the name of sports right?
I think your opening sentence says it all about what these players are receiving..."so you're a 19 year old and your dream comes true". Playing college basketball offers so many benefits/opportunities for players/students but it certainly comes with a lot of pressure to perform and once they accept the benefits and get a chance to live out their dream they should know that they are open to both praise and criticism. Fans/alums/students are paying hundreds, thousands and sometimes more to subsidize the players college athletic/academic experience. Someone is paying for those benefits.
With all that said I hear what you are saying and I have empathy for all people but one can not reasonably expect, IMO, that player's performance, including their role on the team, is taboo to discuss on a sports forum. Ideally no one would have to experience anything unpleasant but that is not how life works. For the record I have a lot more empathy for a student that is stressed out due to taking out loans and/or working in college to make college happen (especially since the typical student at Isu is charged directly or indirectly $900 a year to pay for ISU athletics) or for an 19 to 23 year old that is serving in the military than I do for some student athlete that is living out their dream of playing college hoops and is being criticized for their performance.
I'm sorry you feel that way. It's not about criticism. This site has a search function. Type in wasted scholarship. Read the lovely comments. No Illinois State University student athlete, doing everything they are asked, should be called a waste. It's classless and in my opinion berating.
In the 20 something years I've spent time here, for the most part this forum hasn't sunken to the level of others. The wasted scholarship thing is relatively new. It's a shitty way to treat "family".
Image


Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests