If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Never too early... 18-19 Non-conf schedule

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
bb fan
Junior
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Yikes! I remember that, Quinnie. Two years ago, I totaled out my car on the way back from UNI (the game we clinched the Valley regular season). A truck was dumping large concrete boulders off the back. I could not avoid one about the size of a volleyball that bounced under my car. The damage did not look bad, but apparently, It damaged the bottom of the engine beyond repair.
Last edited by bb fan on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:04 pm

cpacmel wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am
isuquinndog wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:15 am
This is what happened to the isuquinndog mobile the last time we played in DeKalb:

file-1.jpeg
And you didn't even get venison out of the deal :angry-banghead:
:dance:

Image
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

User avatar
chuckie1980
Sophomore
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 pm

and RIP...da deer....

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:46 pm

chuckie1980 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 pm
and RIP...da deer....
DAAAAAAAAAA DEEERS
Image
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

Phantom
Freshman
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:30 am
I mean the students in Section D are as close as any fan other than the Doug Collins seats courtside. Seriously, they are two steps from the court.

The moat stops anyone from being close to court except the four corners. Ask Andy, Joe, KT, Cindy or any of our posters who were students at Redbird how close that front row of D is. Plus being in view of the opposing bench is a plus. Can easily get player and coaches attention from there.
Section D is the best of the four student sections, by a country mile. If you're in the first row, you're basically on the floor and can see/hear EVERYTHING (and be heard too :P )

When I was a student, D was the first section that filled up every game and for good reason. E (behind the band) and F & G (behind the basket) are ok---and you do need the "traditional" student section behind the basket---but D is where the most opposing team damage can be done from. Of course, knowing the library atmosphere the Athletic Dept strives for at RA, that could be the reason they rarely emphasize that section anymore.

Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 1061
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 pm

You know, there are no wrong answers here. And this brings back so many incredible memories.

Phantom, I call your section D and raise you a basket. My first game as a student I found myself behind the south bucket. I fell hard, man. HARD. I never left that section as a paying student, and I didn't miss a game.

I usually sat in the front row with my groupies. Rockin' band over your right shoulder, flaming tubas, killer cheerleaders both male and female, and a drop dead gorgeous dance-line. Right square in the heart of it all. I can't tell you how many chants we started, then cheerleaders would grab megaphones, and next thing ya know the whole crowd was involved. Hell, Keady blew a nut and chucked his jacket, and i thought we might catch the dang thing.

Side story. We were playing Creighton, ala Harstad and Gallagher (89-90 season)...and Harstad goes down with what looks like a serious ankle injury. Being the friendly arena and a Redbird crowd that just loved Harstad ~wink~...somewhere in the group one of the football players who would sit with us starts chanting "walk it off pussy, walk it off!" Next thing you know, thousands are chanting it. "WALK IT OFF PUSSY, WALK IT OFF!!" That chant was echoing off every crevice in Redbird. It was God-awful and cruel but man I just could not stop laughing. I could not beeeelieve we were chanting it - but hey...it was Harstad. BTW, that's what he did. He walked it off while the chant reigned. My favorite moment all-time as a student. Man that place was rockin!

Also, behind the basket, you are right on top of the visiting bench. My oh MYYYY what a perfect place to BE!! True story. The Chicago State fight night...we were all over their coach. Like usual. Just part of the deal! I think his name was Rick Pryor. Only time I've ever seen this...i kid you not...he literally left the bench and started coming after us. During the game. His assistants chased him down. I took a tremendously challenging basketball coaching class (tongue-in-cheek) that was actually taught by the entire coaching staff...including Bender. Well, the day of one particular class happened to fall on THE morning after the Chicago State game. Bender walked in and immediately apologized for his crooked nose, which was broken by one of the ChiSt players. Immediately the class was engulfed in convo and I spoke up and said "you know Coach, their head coach tried coming after us." Bender said yeah, we heard about that.

Good times, baby!!

For my vote, there is not a better spot in Redbird, as an engaged general student, than behind the south end zone. You're very close to opposing bench, cheerleaders, band, and very up close action, noise noise noise. That thing was ROCKING.

I never sat in D, brother, until long after I left ISU.

What we can all agree on is an ENGAGED, RABID STUDENT FAN BASE...no matter where you sit. It's literally an exhilarating experience. Take the reigns off, admins. Game day should BE AN EVENT!!

I hope our fans get to enjoy that kind of atmosphere this year.
Last edited by Humdinger on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bb fan
Junior
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Good stuff, Humdinger. I enjoyed reading your post.

Santa Cason
Sophomore
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 am

‘Birds will open up against Georgia in the Cayman Islands tourney.

Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am

Santa Cason wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 am
‘Birds will open up against Georgia in the Cayman Islands tourney.



Thats what I like to see! Has the making of like last year, beating South Carolina game 1 in the PR Tip Off tournament.
Last edited by Adunk33 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Santa Cason
Sophomore
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am
Santa Cason wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 am
‘Birds will open up against Georgia in the Cayman Islands tourney.
Thats what I like to see! Has the making of beating South Carolina game 1 in last year's tournament.
A win gets us a shot at a very strong Clemson squad.

Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:43 am

Santa Cason wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am
Santa Cason wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 am
‘Birds will open up against Georgia in the Cayman Islands tourney.
Thats what I like to see! Has the making of beating South Carolina game 1 in last year's tournament.
A win gets us a shot at a very strong Clemson squad.
Yep like running into the Boise State buzzsaw last season.

Jsnhbe1Birds
Junior
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:02 pm

I know Arizona State replied to Dan Muller's tweet for Home and Homes last year. I wonder if Muller revisited that. Would be a great road trip if they played ASU on a Thursday/Friday and went to UCLA, Stanford, or Oregon for a buy game on a Sunday. Going the other way Texas, Tech, A&M, Oklahoma, Ok St., Kansas, Kansas St. would all be great, as well.

Phantom
Freshman
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 pm
You know, there are no wrong answers here. And this brings back so many incredible memories.

Phantom, I call your section D and raise you a basket. My first game as a student I found myself behind the south bucket. I fell hard, man. HARD. I never left that section as a paying student, and I didn't miss a game.

I usually sat in the front row with my groupies. Rockin' band over your right shoulder, flaming tubas, killer cheerleaders both male and female, and a drop dead gorgeous dance-line. Right square in the heart of it all. I can't tell you how many chants we started, then cheerleaders would grab megaphones, and next thing ya know the whole crowd was involved. Hell, Keady blew a nut and chucked his jacket, and i thought we might catch the dang thing.

Side story. We were playing Creighton, ala Harstad and Gallagher (89-90 season)...and Harstad goes down with what looks like a serious ankle injury. Being the friendly arena and a Redbird crowd that just loved Harstad ~wink~...somewhere in the group one of the football players who would sit with us starts chanting "walk it off pussy, walk it off!" Next thing you know, thousands are chanting it. "WALK IT OFF PUSSY, WALK IT OFF!!" That chant was echoing off every crevice in Redbird. It was God-awful and cruel but man I just could not stop laughing. I could not beeeelieve we were chanting it - but hey...it was Harstad. BTW, that's what he did. He walked it off while the chant reigned. My favorite moment all-time as a student. Man that place was rockin!

Also, behind the basket, you are right on top of the visiting bench. My oh MYYYY what a perfect place to BE!! True story. The Chicago State fight night...we were all over their coach. Like usual. Just part of the deal! I think his name was Rick Pryor. Only time I've ever seen this...i kid you not...he literally left the bench and started coming after us. During the game. His assistants chased him down. I took a tremendously challenging basketball coaching class (tongue-in-cheek) that was actually taught by the entire coaching staff...including Bender. Well, the day of one particular class happened to fall on THE morning after the Chicago State game. Bender walked in and immediately apologized for his crooked nose, which was broken by one of the ChiSt players. Immediately the class was engulfed in convo and I spoke up and said "you know Coach, their head coach tried coming after us." Bender said yeah, we heard about that.

Good times, baby!!

For my vote, there is not a better spot in Redbird, as an engaged general student, than behind the south end zone. You're very close to opposing bench, cheerleaders, band, and very up close action, noise noise noise. That thing was ROCKING.

I never sat in D, brother, until long after I left ISU.

What we can all agree on is an ENGAGED, RABID STUDENT FAN BASE...no matter where you sit. It's literally an exhilarating experience. Take the reigns off, admins. Game day should BE AN EVENT!!

I hope our fans get to enjoy that kind of atmosphere this year.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I remember that Harstad story. Cooskey and I may have been at that game actually, memory is a little foggy there. We for sure were at the MVC tourney later that season. The title game vs. SIU still remains to this day the greatest atmosphere for a sporting event I witnessed in person. (And that includes NHL, NFL, MLB playoffs and tons of other huge games in multiple sports.) Absolutely CRAZY loud and energetic. I still have the game on tape somewhere.

Bender's Baseline Bunch were great. Definitely got the crowd going nuts. But thats the thing, back then the WHOLE crowd went nuts, and in the early days of RA there weren't a lot of seats to be had. Hell, in the '91 season when we only won 5 games I think we still averaged 9K for the year.

Redbird222
Sophomore
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:59 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:31 am
So back to scheduling....

interesting.....why is a school like Illinois held to the fire for not scheduling in state, but not ISU?

I thought we scheduled UIC for like 6 years ... 3 home and 3 away with one year off due to conflicts. I am doing this from memory. We would have 4 years left if I am right.

Redbird Alum 2004
Junior
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:18 pm

It sure would be nice to get a tune up game at home before that tourney. I think it is definitely winnable for the birds.

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:02 pm
I know Arizona State replied to Dan Muller's tweet for Home and Homes last year. I wonder if Muller revisited that. Would be a great road trip if they played ASU on a Thursday/Friday and went to UCLA, Stanford, or Oregon for a buy game on a Sunday. Going the other way Texas, Tech, A&M, Oklahoma, Ok St., Kansas, Kansas St. would all be great, as well.
Been saying this would be awesome for Phil Fayne!

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Santa Cason wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am
Santa Cason wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 am
‘Birds will open up against Georgia in the Cayman Islands tourney.
Thats what I like to see! Has the making of beating South Carolina game 1 in last year's tournament.
A win gets us a shot at a very strong Clemson squad.
A win against Georgia & Clemson could get us a championship game against Creighton :clap:

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 am

Reggie Redbird wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:36 pm
We have some very generous donors but no “whales” who commit 7 figures to the program on a regular basis or a collective of people who do so.

Your top 500-750 donors, if not top 1,000 will pay more for season tickets than any students will pay in fees. I am the biggest advocate of what the students contribute as a whole to pay the bonds on Hancock and previously RBA. However, we don’t have a D-1 program without those top 500. Unfortunately most of them are tapped out with the rising ticket prices and increased donation requirements. The key without cultivating a few “whales” is growing the $1,000+ per year donors who spend an equal amount or more on season tickets. If you grow those donors by a net gain of 25-50 each year and continue to grow it beyond offsetting the losses of our older donors who pass away or move away.

You also get people who are fed up with shelling out $2-3k per year to watch crap games against CSU, Quincy, Lewis, Ferris State, and other low-major teams. Great we get a P5 once a decade and maybe a decent Murray State or Tulsa match-up but our team has not gotten over the hump of helping itself in StL or in many key home games.
We have some whales. Just none with game changing money.

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:50 am

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:20 pm
Santa Cason wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am


Thats what I like to see! Has the making of beating South Carolina game 1 in last year's tournament.
A win gets us a shot at a very strong Clemson squad.
A win against Georgia & Clemson could get us a championship game against Creighton :clap:
And pave the way for an undefeated season. Seriously think ISU could sneak up on this tourney field and win it. We have the horses to make things interesting.

Tpguy
Sophomore
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:55 am

I think it's awful rude for our students to stand up and yell at the visiting players and coaches during the games. I've seen how bbfan, Quinn and Hulka act and it's downright embarrassing.

No wonder the good fans at WSU hate us and left the Valley, and this Bradley sucks thing is way over the top.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests