If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

2019-20 Expectations

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
jamminjamarsmiley
Freshman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:12 am

ricohill wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am
I get that this is an expectations thread, but at the end of the day this season will be a success or failure based on what this team does in St. Louis between March 5-8. They won't be good enough for an at-large bid so it comes down to winning 3 to 4 games at the end of the year.

Different players, new assistant coaches, etc..., but it is year 8 for Dan. It is time to get the job done. It should be NCAA Tournament or bust at this point. The whole season is just killing time to get to St. Louis with this group.
Rico- what the heck u talking about? Dan has time. He’s here til 2025 unless duke comes calling upon coach k retiring.
DWRedbird
Sophomore

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 am

jamminjamarsmiley wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:12 am

You can’t use guys making hundreds of millions of dollars playing a sport where lack of hustle is acceptable in many cases. Watch any MLB game, on routine outs few guys run hard. That’s where it makes no sense to me.

I agree with last years perfect storm. Pretty much everyone involved was to blame including HCDM, I do not give him a pass like most do on the board.

Also- the vocal leader thing is cute, but really all that is meaningless if the players actions don’t align. For example: last year Fisher went after Copeland in a timeout at one point. What happens when fisher has a poor game? Doubt he’s going to be a vocal leader in that scenario and as a teammate I wouldn’t want to play with guys like that
You can use guys making money as an example when the premise is that someone making it to a certain level never takes plays off. But, if MLB is the bone you want to pick, NBA has it too, constantly. You'll see guys get called out by coaches for lack of hustle, focus, etc.. Called out by players too pretty consistently. The idea is that guys who make it to D1 are above not playing hard...they aren't, especially when guys at the next level, who are the elite of the elite (and former D1 players) are doing the same thing.

As to Fisher, I mean we haven't seen him play D1 for the birds yet, though from everything I hear he is a guy who goes 100% all the time regardless of how he is playing, and will expect his teammates to do the same thing. I don't know about you, but I'd love to play along side guys like that. Those guys make you better.
jamminjamarsmiley
Freshman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Not if it’s “fake leadership”. Some guys talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. I can tell you if a guy who was redshirting got in my face last year I would have been pretty ticked off. He isn’t in the front lines, he shouldn’t be acting like that when he has no skin in the game
RedbirdSoxFan
Senior

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:08 pm

jamminjamarsmiley wrote:
Not if it’s “fake leadership”. Some guys talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. I can tell you if a guy who was redshirting got in my face last year I would have been pretty ticked off. He isn’t in the front lines, he shouldn’t be acting like that when he has no skin in the game
Unfortunately there were zero players wearing a Redbird uniform that day that had the nads to get in the face of the players that were playing like sh*t. Of course just about all of the players were playing that way. Down 14-0 on your own home court, against the worst team in the conference.
TIMMY
Senior

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:15 pm

SO Fish had no skin in the last year? From what I hear he left a lot of skin on the practice floor. Y'all are really something.
CaliRdBrd
Senior

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:43 pm

ricohill wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am
I get that this is an expectations thread, but at the end of the day this season will be a success or failure based on what this team does in St. Louis between March 5-8. They won't be good enough for an at-large bid so it comes down to winning 3 to 4 games at the end of the year.

Different players, new assistant coaches, etc..., but it is year 8 for Dan. It is time to get the job done. It should be NCAA Tournament or bust at this point. The whole season is just killing time to get to St. Louis with this group.
I agree with this.
Sad, but history has proven that a 26+ win season, without wearing the crown in the Lou, means we’ll be sweating it come selection Sunday.
Exactly why we should be testing ourselves against the highest level of competition all year.
I hate to beat the same drum, but playing at Kentucky, at Louisville, at San Diego State, against, St. Joe and Maryland was the best season ever from a scheduling perspective. Would have loved to see that have been stepping stone for future scheduling on a yearly basis, yet here we are with another yawner of a schedule that makes winning in the Lou our only chance at the NCAA. Sad.
DWRedbird
Sophomore

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:11 pm

jamminjamarsmiley wrote:
He has skin in the game because he is on the team. There are no divisions on a team, if you are on it, you have the chance to become a leader. Keith is one.
jamminjamarsmiley
Freshman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:20 pm

fisher had been an ISU student for like 5 months? He had and still has never played a single minute in a redbird uniform. He can cheer and hi five his teammates all he wants. Has no business in game jumping down his teammates throat. I would have told him to go sit in the locker room if I was Dan.

No one is arguing the team was playing like crap. You pay a head coach a crap ton of money to COACH the team to play better. You don’t pay a redshirt student athlete for that.
jamminjamarsmiley
Freshman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:26 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:15 pm
SO Fish had no skin in the last year? From what I hear he left a lot of skin on the practice floor. Y'all are really something.
He is the nations best practice player, I know, I’ve read it on this board 1000 times.
TIMMY
Senior

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Brah, you are no Jamar Smiley.
jamminjamarsmiley
Freshman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:57 pm

TIMMY wrote:
I have no clue what this post means or what value it provides. Maybe TIMMY should be banned for wasting everyone’s time and derailing the conversation
Last edited by jamminjamarsmiley on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricohill
Senior

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:00 pm

What I don’t understand is the obsession with Fisher (and others). It happens every year with the Kool-Aid Krew. They pick some players and declare them the next Doug Collins. Some people have declared Fisher, “Karl Malone” and Chastain the next great white hope.

I have no idea if Fisher will be good. Neither does anyone else. It’s probably harmful to build them up like this.

All we know is Fisher played on one of the worst teams in the country and was ok. He then practiced part of the year last year against one of the worst teams in the country. Plus, he was declared a leader because he went off and Copeland nearly fought him during a game?

The teams success is going to have to do more with Muller not being nuttier than Clark Griswold for once. I’m very skeptical that we are putting our offense in the hands again of a guy that has no record of offensive success. I feel like it will be better than Duhon, but who knows?
Trey_Guidry4three
Sophomore

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 pm

jamminjamarsmiley wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:57 pm
TIMMY wrote:
I have no clue what this post means or what value it provides. Maybe TIMMY should be banned for wasting everyone’s time and detailing the conversation
If only you had a sense of humor, brah. Your negativity. ... I'm about ready to go eminem and go fist to the drywall with u.
bombay
Junior

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:36 am

TIMMY wrote:
Amen. And I wish others would stop quoting that... guy.
SgtHulka
Senior

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 am

Current state of Redbirdfan
Redbird28
Sophomore

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:15 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 am
Current state of Redbirdfan
I would have probably went with a smoldering trash heap, so yours is sunshine and lollipops by comparison.
Redbirdfan06
Freshman

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 pm

ricohill wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:00 pm
What I don’t understand is the obsession with Fisher (and others). It happens every year with the Kool-Aid Krew. They pick some players and declare them the next Doug Collins. Some people have declared Fisher, “Karl Malone” and Chastain the next great white hope.

I have no idea if Fisher will be good. Neither does anyone else. It’s probably harmful to build them up like this.

All we know is Fisher played on one of the worst teams in the country and was ok. He then practiced part of the year last year against one of the worst teams in the country. Plus, he was declared a leader because he went off and Copeland nearly fought him during a game?

The teams success is going to have to do more with Muller not being nuttier than Clark Griswold for once. I’m very skeptical that we are putting our offense in the hands again of a guy that has no record of offensive success. I feel like it will be better than Duhon, but who knows?
When has anyone declared fisher the next Karl Malone? I think retooling the coaching staff shows a coach willing to try to better the team. I am not in the boat of some that last year was all the players and that zero of last year’s mess falls on Muller but what did you want him to do? Elaborate on the assistant coach Muller should have hired.
SoCalRedbird
Sophomore

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Relax, people....

Nobody has a clue what type of team will take the floor in a few months. Not the "experts" on here or the "insiders." We're the can without a label on the discount rack right now. Some choose to be optimistic. Others don't. Whatever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HT59
Sophomore

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:56 pm

DWRedbird wrote:
jamminjamarsmiley wrote:

You can’t use guys making hundreds of millions of dollars playing a sport where lack of hustle is acceptable in many cases. Watch any MLB game, on routine outs few guys run hard. That’s where it makes no sense to me.

I agree with last years perfect storm. Pretty much everyone involved was to blame including HCDM, I do not give him a pass like most do on the board.

Also- the vocal leader thing is cute, but really all that is meaningless if the players actions don’t align. For example: last year Fisher went after Copeland in a timeout at one point. What happens when fisher has a poor game? Doubt he’s going to be a vocal leader in that scenario and as a teammate I wouldn’t want to play with guys like that
You can use guys making money as an example when the premise is that someone making it to a certain level never takes plays off. But, if MLB is the bone you want to pick, NBA has it too, constantly. You'll see guys get called out by coaches for lack of hustle, focus, etc.. Called out by players too pretty consistently. The idea is that guys who make it to D1 are above not playing hard...they aren't, especially when guys at the next level, who are the elite of the elite (and former D1 players) are doing the same thing.

As to Fisher, I mean we haven't seen him play D1 for the birds yet, though from everything I hear he is a guy who goes 100% all the time regardless of how he is playing, and will expect his teammates to do the same thing. I don't know about you, but I'd love to play along side guys like that. Those guys make you better.
:clap:
CaliRdBrd
Senior

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:25 pm

HT59 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:56 pm
DWRedbird wrote:
jamminjamarsmiley wrote:

:clap:
The rah rah “stuff” is only good if it’s back up by solid stats. Otherwise it can get extremely annoying...and become divisive.