If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

It's happening .... Again

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
redneckredbird
Freshman

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:05 am

If I remember correctly this is Dan's 8th year as a head coach. In all 8 seasons his teams have struggled coming out of the gate. Seniors or not. I do believe he gets things straightened out again this year, but this has obviously been a weakness of his. I have seen some solid progression from him since his first season, but this has not progressed like I, and certainly Dan, had hoped for. But I will give him cudos for getting his teams together towards the end of the season. I guess I'm not as surprised to see another slow start. But if he wants this program to start getting looks for an at large bid, the OOC schedule is where you make hay. I trust Dan to get his players playing hard by the conference season, but that is gonna b too late for an at large bid. For me, I hope they get a lot accomplished in this 5 day stretch between games. At large chance is not gone, but now the team needs to b near perfect. Go State baby!

BirdGrad2011
Freshman

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:17 am

K. It’s likely a one bid league. Look at the performance as a whole so far. St Louis should be the focus.
Formerly ISUBirds89

redneckredbird
Freshman

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:02 am

So far I would agree with you. The top of the valley has not been good so far this season. At large is not impossible for this team, but it looks unlikley at the moment. As always, win in STL and take away any doubt.

SgtHulka
Senior

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 am

The slow starts are frustrating. I the past I always associated it with all of the new faces and generally having only 1-2 returners with substantial playing time under their belt. This year seems to point to there being another cause to the issue.
Only ISU Volleyball can take ISU Basketball where it needs to go

BirdGrad2011
Freshman

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
The slow starts are frustrating. I the past I always associated it with all of the new faces and generally having only 1-2 returners with substantial playing time under their belt. This year seems to point to there being another cause to the issue.
Leadership and I don’t mean from the coaching staff. Phil and Keyshawn are fine, but the drama with Milik probably plays a role. He needs to start acting and playing like a senior.
Formerly ISUBirds89

Phantom
Sophomore

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:29 pm

BirdGrad2011 wrote:
SgtHulka wrote:
Leadership and I don’t mean from the coaching staff. Phil and Keyshawn are fine, but the drama with Milik probably plays a role. He needs to start acting and playing like a senior.
And someone - Phil or Keyshawn - might need to step in and snap Milik's head straight if they haven't already (he seemed to be on even keel in the Chi St game.) Kind of like what Dan did to Rico before the '97-'98 season. Sometimes a wakeup call is better from a teammate(s).

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:17 am

SgtHulka wrote:
:text-+1: agree... at some point one should look for the common denominator

Chi-bird
Sophomore

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:46 pm

This team's problem, as with many of Dan's team's problems is that a lack of mental toughness, leadership, and sheer competitiveness.
We don't have athletes on the roster.....we have "athletic" single-sport (basketball) players, who often tend to be long, but not often skilled offensively.

Personally, I'd like to see Dan recruit more "athletes" in the competitive, well-rounded, multi-sport, sense of the word, and not just basketball players who are taller and taller every year, but have few post moves or mid-range game.

I understand sport specialization nowadays, but the problem with a roster full of purely basketball players is that often they play so many games a year (be it pickup, aau, etc.) whether they win or lose...thus never really making them appreciate winning because it's not as painful to lose a basketball game as it other games. Having well-balances athletes might even help minimize so many of these overuse injuries that this team has been seeing year in and year out.

But, if we are going to go with hoops-only players, let's get some one with a fiesty streak who can play point guard, who wants nothing more than to win.

DannyCooksey
Junior

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Phantom wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:29 pm
BirdGrad2011 wrote:
SgtHulka wrote:
And someone - Phil or Keyshawn - might need to step in and snap Milik's head straight if they haven't already (he seemed to be on even keel in the Chi St game.) Kind of like what Dan did to Rico before the '97-'98 season. Sometimes a wakeup call is better from a teammate(s).
Agreed

Trey_Guidry4three
Freshman

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Chi-bird wrote:
This team's problem, as with many of Dan's team's problems is that a lack of mental toughness, leadership, and sheer competitiveness.
We don't have athletes on the roster.....we have "athletic" single-sport (basketball) players, who often tend to be long, but not often skilled offensively.

Personally, I'd like to see Dan recruit more "athletes" in the competitive, well-rounded, multi-sport, sense of the word, and not just basketball players who are taller and taller every year, but have few post moves or mid-range game.

I understand sport specialization nowadays, but the problem with a roster full of purely basketball players is that often they play so many games a year (be it pickup, aau, etc.) whether they win or lose...thus never really making them appreciate winning because it's not as painful to lose a basketball game as it other games. Having well-balances athletes might even help minimize so many of these overuse injuries that this team has been seeing year in and year out.

But, if we are going to go with hoops-only players, let's get some one with a fiesty streak who can play point guard, who wants nothing more than to win.
So you are saying we should take players from the mens tennis team or chess club? Idk about you but I want basketball players on this team that are good at basketball first and foremost. Your logic is non sensical

Bird Friend
Senior

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
Chi-bird wrote:

So you are saying we should take players from the mens tennis team or chess club? Idk about you but I want basketball players on this team that are good at basketball first and foremost. Your logic is non sensical
And your entitlement bias is blinding.

Chi-bird
Sophomore

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
Chi-bird wrote:

No, I was clearly suggesting we take players from the women’s tennis team. Don’t be so misogynistic.

Trey_Guidry4three
Freshman

Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Chi-bird wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:42 pm
Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
Chi-bird wrote:

No, I was clearly suggesting we take players from the women’s tennis team. Don’t be so misogynistic.

Then I guess I'll take it as you would rather have a great athlete over a great basketball player. Makes total sense for a basketball program.

Now excuse me while I try to find a big word to make myself look smart

• Information