If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Opinion on 3 point shot

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Tpguy
Sophomore

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:14 pm

For you old timers like me that have been around long enough to see the game played before the 3 point shot. How do you see it affecting the game in a good way and a bad way.

The way we use it, I see it as a bad thing because we overuse it. Most everyone looks for it first. I know it makes the game more exciting and I love it in the last 5 minutes because underdogs can make combacks.

In my days at ISU I saw several players score 30-40 points without the 3 point shots.

Your thoughts?

BTbird
Freshman

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 pm

I vote we do away with the two point shot.

Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Its great if you are the Warriors and have great 3 point shooters. Not so great when you think you have good 3 point shooters but dont a la the Redbirds (besides Jefferson). This team would be much better feeding the ball inside.

As far as the 3 point shot I think it revolutionized the game and took it to a new level. I imagine there will be a four point shot in the next 20 years. I personally think it will be jumping the shark but I think it's coming.

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:07 pm

It has been a good thing for basketball...more ball movement and spreads out the offense and defense. Seeing teams with nothing but tall guys, some with very little basketball skill, just packing it inside offensively and defensively was getting old. Also the 3 pointer makes coaching and strategy more important.

This ISU team has some players launching 3s that have no business shooting 3s. Muller needs more discipline on this team and that seems like an easy area to attack.

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:12 pm

It is interesting, TP. While it does open up the court and it has certainly expanded the game...scoring isn't necessarily up which I find interesting. Overall (not everybody but from an overall perspective) the game has lost an ability to run an effective offensive set because we're so enamored metrically and emotionally to the 3-ball. I still LOVE to see a skilled big man in the paint. My personal opinion is there will always be a place on a team for a fellow like that. At least my team. I believe the game's IQ has trended downward, overall, with the increase in shooting range. AAU teams (same thing with baseball traveling teams) and such are way less about the fundamental aspect of the game and more about shoot shoot shoot play play play. We're a dumber game for it. Minus the GSW team in the Bay, of course. When they're in rhythm, it's a freakin symphony.

My question is...where in the hek did the organized fast break go?? Amazes me with the athletes today why teams don't break more. ESPECIALLY OUR REDBIRDS. Plus it's appealing to the people in the seats! Give em some entertainment value!!

My youngest is a freshman but he's got some range so he'll see a bit of varsity time. The varsity coach recently instructed him to start shooting farther out. He's already shooting 24 footers. Definitely a different mindset.
Last edited by Humdinger on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm

In saying that - the 3-ball is exciting and it's here to stay. Expect the college line to get extended.

I'll never forget Antonio Cooper entering a game, from his very first game. There's never been a more favored 3 pt shooter in Redbird than him. The energy of the Arena would just light up when he woukd hop to the scorer's table. Why? Cause the kid had one specialty (well 2, he could jump)...and that was light up the crowd with a 3-ball.

He didn't even have to make it!
Last edited by Humdinger on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:28 pm

I believe our Gass-man could fill a role like that for us. I think he'd be more effective with a little less time on the court but structuring him in a way where he has the opportunity to get streaky.

Redbird would go bonkers for him. And you'd be utilizing his strength. Hek TP, it'd be a GASSSSSSSSS!

RedbirdSoxFan
Junior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm
In saying that - the 3-ball is exciting and it's here to stay. Expect the college line to get extended.

I'll never forget Antonio Cooper entering a game, from his very first game. There's never been a more favored 3 pt shooter in Redbird than him. The energy of the Arena would just light up. Why? Cause the kid had one specialty (well 2, he could jump)...and that was light up the crowd with a 3-ball.

He didn't even have to make it!
The Two 3’s that he came off the bench and hit against Washington State in the NIT, maybe other than the Championship game against Southern Illinois, was the loudest I have ever heard Redbird Arena.

Bird Friend
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:42 pm

TPguy, a question for you . . . how has the game changed since they quit using peach baskets?

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
TPguy, a question for you . . . how has the game changed since they quit using peach baskets?

HaHa!!

Indoor plumbing changed the fanny, I mean fan experience completely!!

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:47 pm

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:40 pm

The Two 3’s that he came off the bench and hit against Washington State in the NIT, maybe other than the Championship game against Southern Illinois, was the loudest I have ever heard Redbird Arena.
I wasn't there for the NIT game and should have been. What a tool I was!

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:14 pm

One more thought. Steph Curry has had a Roger Bannister-type of effect on the entire game of American basketball...literally from biddy ball to the pros.

That kind of effect doesn't happen very often in sport.

stats
Freshman

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 pm

One of the best things about a 3 point shot is even if you miss it, it is usually a longer bounce off the rim. If the 3 point shots are taken through a structured offense, a good rebounding team should be able to get almost 40% of your missed shots.

If all that you do is jack a 3 every time you are open, your team will score less because you seldom get the second chances.

chuckie1980
Sophomore

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:20 pm

You guys probably thought I was crazy when I have mentioned this before....but since I am answering TP's question...

I hate 3 pointers. The 3pt has destroyed basketball.

Give 3points when baskets are made within 5 feet of the basket.
Leave the damned 2points shots alone
Change extreme longshots (current 3s) to be given only 1 point.

It would take the game under the basket again.

Joe_Y
Freshman

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm

The 3 pointers from Tyler Brown was the reason we almost beat #5 Louisville

TIMMY
Junior

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:51 pm

You didn't see Rick Lamb throwing up 3's and by golly we liked it.

Tpguy
Sophomore

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
They replaced those flimsy peach baskets my sophomore year because I kept pulling them down with my monster dunks. :o

RedbirdSoxFan
Junior

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Joe_Y wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm
The 3 pointers from Tyler Brown was the reason we almost beat #5 Louisville
He missed the last one (although he was fouled).

stats
Freshman

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 pm

When they first put in the 3 pointer, I had 2 major thoughts.
1) Positive- It almost forced teams to actually get out and guard. The zone defenses where teams were just packing in the lane was stale. The 3 point line initially rewarded teams that played pressure defense.
2) Negative-A 3 pointer should not be 50% greater than a 2 pointer. Mathematically, I think it would work out if the shots behind the arc were just 2.5 points. However, I think everyone would agree scores would then look pretty stupid if you had halves.

Bird Friend
Senior

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:37 pm

stats wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 pm
When they first put in the 3 pointer, I had 2 major thoughts.
1) Positive- It almost forced teams to actually get out and guard. The zone defenses where teams were just packing in the lane was stale. The 3 point line initially rewarded teams that played pressure defense.
2) Negative-A 3 pointer should not be 50% greater than a 2 pointer. Mathematically, I think it would work out if the shots behind the arc were just 2.5 points. However, I think everyone would agree scores would then look pretty stupid if you had halves.
The game already has two halves . . .

• Information