If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Keyshawn out 2-4 Weeks

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Flagship08
Freshman
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:27 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 am
Flagship08 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:10 pm
Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:01 pm
The word I have been getting is he will not be fully ready to play until December
Well that's a big problem if we want an at large bid and he isn't playing in thr Cayman Island Classic
A urge that as a fan base, we should collectively put this idea of an "at-large" out of our heads. There is only one guaranteed way to make the tournament, win the MVC tournament. Let's focus on doing that. Our whole season comes down to those three days in March. Even if the birds look like an at-large team going into the MVC Tournament, and lose Friday or Saturday, those will likely be a Q3/4 loss that would keep the Birds out.

I try not to leave anything up to chance. Win on Sunday, March 10, and we're in for the first time in 21 years.
It's such defeatist attitude to think Arch Madness is the only path the dance. Why even follow the team before conference play then? This team absolutely has the schedule and talent to get an at large bid.

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 1102
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Flagship08 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:27 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 am
Flagship08 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:10 pm


Well that's a big problem if we want an at large bid and he isn't playing in thr Cayman Island Classic
A urge that as a fan base, we should collectively put this idea of an "at-large" out of our heads. There is only one guaranteed way to make the tournament, win the MVC tournament. Let's focus on doing that. Our whole season comes down to those three days in March. Even if the birds look like an at-large team going into the MVC Tournament, and lose Friday or Saturday, those will likely be a Q3/4 loss that would keep the Birds out.

I try not to leave anything up to chance. Win on Sunday, March 10, and we're in for the first time in 21 years.
It's such defeatist attitude to think Arch Madness is the only path the dance. Why even follow the team before conference play then? This team absolutely has the schedule and talent to get an at large bid.
:text-+1: Could not agree more. Sorry Adunk but I think that mindset is so weak. This particular ISU hoop team on paper has a chance of being a top 45 team which would get them into the tournament.

Overall I look at ISU's hoop program and would hope the culture is to start every season with the goal of earning an at large birth into the NCAA tourney. That is certainly not an easy goal but it should be attainable on occasion. Fans have to realize that is a tough goal but be ready to support it be it good or bad. The back up plan into the NCAA tourney is to then win the MVC conference tournament if an at large bid is not attainable.

btw I do not see losing Evans for sometime to be as damaging as losing several other ISU players if ISU truly has a deep bench. Don't get me wrong ISU is definitely better with Evans but he is an easier player to adjust to playing without and the ISU defense may actually improve too, IMO.

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Anyone expecting an injury free season is nuts

Heal up Key
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

redbirdron1
Freshman
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 am

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:29 am

I get that Sarge......but don't you think R Birds have more boots in their closet
then, well, even my wife.

Key's one of my very favorite guys, we need him and yes, Heal Up!!!

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 am

redbirdron1 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:29 am
I get that Sarge......but don't you think R Birds have more boots in their closet
then, well, even my wife.

Key's one of my very favorite guys, we need him and yes, Heal Up!!!
I'm sure we do. Which is why your would be nuts to think we won't be adding to the collection. We recruit poor foot DNA
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

Phantom
Sophomore
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am

JMHO but I don't think it's a defeatist attitude at all to think that winning the MVC tourney is the only way to the Dance. It's actually a pure fact.

Do you REALLY want to rely on the selection committee to put us in, if we are anywhere near the bubble? You all know damn well that even with a good schedule if we get bounced early in STL then it's over. There really is only one surefire way to the NCAA tourney and it's through the conference tourney. We cannot rely on an at-large (which only is remotely possible if we get a bunch of big non-con wins and about 25 overall anyway.)

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am

Phantom wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am
JMHO but I don't think it's a defeatist attitude at all to think that winning the MVC tourney is the only way to the Dance. It's actually a pure fact.

Do you REALLY want to rely on the selection committee to put us in, if we are anywhere near the bubble? You all know damn well that even with a good schedule if we get bounced early in STL then it's over. There really is only one surefire way to the NCAA tourney and it's through the conference tourney. We cannot rely on an at-large (which only is remotely possible if we get a bunch of big non-con wins and about 25 overall anyway.)
If we go 10-0 in non-conference, 15-3 in conference, and lose Sunday in St Louis, we will receive an at-large.

Phantom
Sophomore
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:37 am

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am
Phantom wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am
JMHO but I don't think it's a defeatist attitude at all to think that winning the MVC tourney is the only way to the Dance. It's actually a pure fact.

Do you REALLY want to rely on the selection committee to put us in, if we are anywhere near the bubble? You all know damn well that even with a good schedule if we get bounced early in STL then it's over. There really is only one surefire way to the NCAA tourney and it's through the conference tourney. We cannot rely on an at-large (which only is remotely possible if we get a bunch of big non-con wins and about 25 overall anyway.)
If we go 10-0 in non-conference, 15-3 in conference, and lose Sunday in St Louis, we will receive an at-large.
You'd think. However if one or two of those conference losses is to a bottom team, or at home...then voila! There's the only ammo the committee needs. Remember, it's a moving target. And they will always use the slightest reason to keep mid majors out than put them in.

Again, I don't want to rely on that. Nobody is going to do us any favors.

Morans14
Freshman
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am

Phantom wrote:
RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am
Phantom wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am
JMHO but I don't think it's a defeatist attitude at all to think that winning the MVC tourney is the only way to the Dance. It's actually a pure fact.

Do you REALLY want to rely on the selection committee to put us in, if we are anywhere near the bubble? You all know damn well that even with a good schedule if we get bounced early in STL then it's over. There really is only one surefire way to the NCAA tourney and it's through the conference tourney. We cannot rely on an at-large (which only is remotely possible if we get a bunch of big non-con wins and about 25 overall anyway.)
If we go 10-0 in non-conference, 15-3 in conference, and lose Sunday in St Louis, we will receive an at-large.
You'd think. However if one or two of those conference losses is to a bottom team, or at home...then voila! There's the only ammo the committee needs. Remember, it's a moving target. And they will always use the slightest reason to keep mid majors out than put them in.

Again, I don't want to rely on that. Nobody is going to do us any favors.
Wading into this....this team has yet to play one game this season and a large number of you are already obsessing over winning in St Louis and the committee and how they will "screw" us.

Good grief. Let's play some games and see what happens. I have so much faith in this team and the schedule our coach put together to put them in a position to be successful.

Relax and enjoy what should be a great ride this year. These seniors are something special.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am

Morans14 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am
Phantom wrote:
RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am


If we go 10-0 in non-conference, 15-3 in conference, and lose Sunday in St Louis, we will receive an at-large.
You'd think. However if one or two of those conference losses is to a bottom team, or at home...then voila! There's the only ammo the committee needs. Remember, it's a moving target. And they will always use the slightest reason to keep mid majors out than put them in.

Again, I don't want to rely on that. Nobody is going to do us any favors.
Wading into this....this team has yet to play one game this season and a large number of you are already obsessing over winning in St Louis and the committee and how they will "screw" us.

Good grief. Let's play some games and see what happens. I have so much faith in this team and the schedule our coach put together to put them in a position to be successful.

Relax and enjoy what should be a great ride this year. These seniors are something special.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree! As of today the Redbirds have zero losses. I will start considering an at-large birth to be questionable if/when the Redbirds have 4 losses on the season.

Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 1434
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 am

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:05 pm
Flagship08 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:27 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 am


A urge that as a fan base, we should collectively put this idea of an "at-large" out of our heads. There is only one guaranteed way to make the tournament, win the MVC tournament. Let's focus on doing that. Our whole season comes down to those three days in March. Even if the birds look like an at-large team going into the MVC Tournament, and lose Friday or Saturday, those will likely be a Q3/4 loss that would keep the Birds out.

I try not to leave anything up to chance. Win on Sunday, March 10, and we're in for the first time in 21 years.
It's such defeatist attitude to think Arch Madness is the only path the dance. Why even follow the team before conference play then? This team absolutely has the schedule and talent to get an at large bid.
:text-+1: Could not agree more. Sorry Adunk but I think that mindset is so weak. This particular ISU hoop team on paper has a chance of being a top 45 team which would get them into the tournament.

Overall I look at ISU's hoop program and would hope the culture is to start every season with the goal of earning an at large birth into the NCAA tourney. That is certainly not an easy goal but it should be attainable on occasion. Fans have to realize that is a tough goal but be ready to support it be it good or bad. The back up plan into the NCAA tourney is to then win the MVC conference tournament if an at large bid is not attainable.

btw I do not see losing Evans for sometime to be as damaging as losing several other ISU players if ISU truly has a deep bench. Don't get me wrong ISU is definitely better with Evans but he is an easier player to adjust to playing without and the ISU defense may actually improve too, IMO.
The attitude is not defeatist. It's realistic. Those who are saying "they haven't played a game yet," that goes both ways. We don't know what the team is, that is correct. However, we know that we would have to have one of the most remarkable seasons to be considered for an at-large. I am not suggesting the Birds will never be in consideration for the at-large, but why not also consider the only way to 100% get in to the tournament. I love basketball and love how we play so many games so the regular season holds value to me.

If you hurt your arm, would you rather wait and see if it gets better, or go to the doctor to find out what was wrong and a cure for the aliment. No need to sit around and wait (at-large) when you can actually find out what is going on with no gray area (auto berth)

I am not saying the team will be incapable of an at-large, if that happens GREAT! I am saying, why consider leaving it up to chance.
RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am
If we go 10-0 in non-conference, 15-3 in conference, and lose Sunday in St Louis, we will receive an at-large.
This would very likely put us in. But it would include wins over Clemson, Georgia, UCF, etc. Again, not saying this can't happen but if they go 10-0 in the non-con they'll likely be a top 25 team. They would go into Selection Sunday 27-4 with a pair of losses to Loyola, one to SIU, and one slip up to a team like Indy State. This is a lot to ask from any team in the country.

If the Birds struggle in the non-con, fans realize they still have a chance to dance. It is more likely for the Birds to win on Sunday in STL than to get an at-large (without getting into the corruption of the NCAA).

Flagship08
Freshman
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 pm

You guys act like there is something ISU should be focusing or preparing for to get ready for Arch Madness. The tournament is in March.

From now until March the only priority should be working towards an at large bid until we lose enough games where that becomes unrealistic.

Winning Sunday at Arch Madness is the absolute last resort option, plan B.

Morans14
Freshman
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Flagship08 wrote:You guys act like there is something ISU should be focusing or preparing for to get ready for Arch Madness. The tournament is in March.

From now until March the only priority should be working towards an at large bid until we lose enough games where that becomes unrealistic.

Winning Sunday at Arch Madness is the absolute last resort option, plan B.
Bingo


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantom
Sophomore
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:26 am

I agree that it's useless to guess anything at this point. But hey, spitballing is what you do in October :ugeek: .

I also agree that we won't know anything until we start playing games.

I also absolutely agree that we have a very good schedule and what should be a damn good team that (hopefully) can win big games.

My only point is that IF it comes down to it in March, then you can't rely on the committee. The only guaranteed way in the Dance is through St. Louis. That's as factual as the sky is blue. It's not a defeatist attitude to say that and you know what? That should be Plan A, not Plan B. Win the tourney for once and get that damn monkey off our backs! Do you guys want to sit around having lost the 8th title game in 12 years or whatever it is and then be sitting there the following Sunday praying the committee puts us in? I don't. But that's 5 months away...worry about it then.

That said, let's just hurry up and get the season here so we can start debating other things :P

V Boy
Sophomore
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 am

I think the issue is that Muller never seems to be able to get the team up to play for these noncon wins. He gets the games but we usually lose the big ones (sometimes badly).

Bottom line is that if ISU isn’t ready to come out and step on Dunk City’s neck in the first half of the first game then all of the naysayers will be right.

It’s up to the seniors. If Fayne and Yarbrough and Tinsley don’t set the tone in that first game then it’s all just hot air.

Baltimore Bird
Freshman
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 am

I am almost a glass more than 1/2 full guy. I expect us to have a very good year, but 27-4, running the table in non-conference seems a bit aggressive to me. There are a lot of good basketball players and teams on our schedule. Non conference is going to be a major challenge and then conference road games at Loyola, ISU Blue, SIU, PU and all of the other stops are tough. We were an 18-15 team non-tournament team last year with most of the same cast of players back plus a couple of new faces.

I am going to love the ride and will watch every game available to me. It is going to be a fun season and I am fired up and ready to go. GO BIRDS!
Redbirds and Cardinals, A Combination that Makes Sense! GO BIRDS!

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:05 am

V Boy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 am
I think the issue is that Muller never seems to be able to get the team up to play for these noncon wins. He gets the games but we usually lose the big ones (sometimes badly).

Bottom line is that if ISU isn’t ready to come out and step on Dunk City’s neck in the first half of the first game then all of the naysayers will be right.

It’s up to the seniors. If Fayne and Yarbrough and Tinsley don’t set the tone in that first game then it’s all just hot air.
We struggle in the non con each year because of the 7-8 new faces we are attempting to integrate. Hopefully that wont be as much of an issue this year
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:17 pm

V Boy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 am
I think the issue is that Muller never seems to be able to get the team up to play for these noncon wins. He gets the games but we usually lose the big ones (sometimes badly).

Bottom line is that if ISU isn’t ready to come out and step on Dunk City’s neck in the first half of the first game then all of the naysayers will be right.

It’s up to the seniors. If Fayne and Yarbrough and Tinsley don’t set the tone in that first game then it’s all just hot air.
You sure that wouldn’t be a cold splash of reality?
Image

Post Reply
  • Information